LOCATION: Manhattan (NYC)
Our Client is seeking an experienced Backend Engineer Manager to join our award winning team full time. They are a fast growing, top ranked startup within the programmatic advertising technology ecosystem, trying to tackle some of the most challenging problems facing the industry.
As the Backend Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for two (2) engineering units that are building core components of the application - ranging from our RTB exchange, to data pipeline that collect and process events, to computer vision and image serving. You will also be responsible for ensuring that the quality and productivity of the engineering team remains high while positioning it for the future.
The data engineering team primarily uses the following technologies:
- Java 7 (shift to Java 8)
- Spark and Scala for the batch data pipeline; VoltDB and Storm for the streaming data pipeline
- Druid, Redshift, and VoltDB as data stores
- Open source: Netty, ZooKeeper, and Kafka
- MySQL for the primary DB supporting our API
- MongoDB for secondary data stores and caching
- Amazon Web Services to keep everything moving
- Architect our high volume applications with a focus on extensibility and scalability, we expect our systems to see a 10x volume increase over the next year
- Lead the prioritization process for the backend engineering team
- Manage a team of 7 engineers who are responsible for our RTB Exchange, bidder, data pipeline, and computer vision offerings
- Be able to dive in to investigate and solve hairy issues with the rest of team
- Work closely with product and solutions teams to deliver new products and ensure the success of customers
- 2 years managing a software engineering team
- 4 years acting as an individual contributor writing high scale systems
- Experience with a object oriented language such as Java
- Experience with a functional based language such as Scala
- Experience with a distributed data processing framework such as Spark
- Experience building out RESTful APIs
- Experience with distributed data bases such as Druid, VoltDB, Snowflake, or Cassandra
- Basic frontend knowledge and competencies
A Bachelor’s degree in computer science,or a related discipline is preferred, although candidates with relevant experience who hold other degrees will be considered.
Compensation: $180-190K Base + Bonus and Benefits.